These are the following services provided through Newfoundland Oaths


An appointed Commissioner For Oaths under the Commissioner For Oaths Act, may administer oaths and take and receive affidavits, declarations and affirmations within the province.

An appointed Issuer of Marriage Licenses, may receive applications and issue a Newfoundland and Labrador Marriage License for parties to be married. License is valid for 30 days.


Commissioner For Oaths

Witnessing and taking affidavits for legal or other court documents. The person affirming or swearing to the document(s) must do so in the presence of the commissioner. All material is to be filled out in advance with exception to the signature and date. Proper identification must be presented, a valid government indued ID.

Common Documents requiring a Commissioner For Oaths include:
> NL Housing First Time Home Buyers Program (FHP) Affidavit
> NL Housing Home Purchase Program (HPP) Affidavit
> Separation Agreements
> Motor Registration Vehicle Transfer
> Passport Application
> Support Enforcement Affidavit
> Statutory Declaration of Common Law
> Proof of Identity
and many more.


Affirmation/Declaration Endorsement

The witnessing or swearing to solemn affirmations or declarations.


Application for Name Change

There are 4 types of legal name changes available: Adult Surname (with or without given name), Adult Given Name (only), Child Surname (with or without given name), Child Given Name (only). A $100 provincial name change fee is charged, $30-$35 for new Birth Certificate.

Close Menu